Acting responsibly, practising self-management and control, in many cases, can be the difference between positive or negative outcomes. This is an important fact in these times.
How each individual acts now, in the midst of Covid 19, will be the difference between successfully getting through this or being economically and personally decimated as a consequence. Several deaths have already occurred in the Caribbean. We must now stop this virus here, in its tracks. If community spread begins, the consequence of poor self-management and control could flatten our healthcare systems and our Caribbean economies in a flash. None of our Caribbean countries can manage an overload on its healthcare system and no country can manage economic decline.
We do, however, have control. We can beat Covid 19. But first we have to be serious; no pussyfooting and tiptoeing around as if this is a joke. It is not a joke.
We are human beings but cannot put our individual human feelings ahead of the national and global good. This is not the time for that. This is the time for local and universal solidarity, the sharing of vital information, technology and resources.
Let’s not complain or use this as a political football. We’re all in the same boat.
Individual human rights cannot take priority over human safety and health. This may sound autocratic but it’s necessary. This is not about the individual.
So, let us all do what we need to do.
- Follow the recommendations by our ministries of health.
- Act as if you have the virus. Stay away from other people. Self isolate. It’s not forever; just for a short while.
- Work from home. W
- Be our brother’s keeper. Shop for your elderly neighbors, family and friends at a time when least people are there.
- Get a mask and wear it in public- even if you feel silly.
- Maintain sanitizing protocols.
- If symptoms occur call the relevant numbers and follow instructions for what to do. Do not report to a clinic, hospital, doctor’s office or other public facility. This is very important so that you do not spread infection. Call the numbers. Do as Instructed.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle; exercise at home and eat as well as possible.
- Be productive and maintain brain and emotional well-being.
- Most importantly, do not panic.
We have two examples in front of us. One positive in its strategy and results – China. The other is Italy with its increasing negative results which we do not want replicated in the Caribbean.
We can decide what our fate will be.
CHOICES Career & Education Advice